Friday, September 10, 2010

Trip part 2...

While we were staying with my parents we went around to a couple of the church history sites. We First went to Far West at the temple site. The corner stones are still present there. This was quite a large city at one point in the saint's travels. It is a beautiful here and we even found Burnett road.

Next we went to the Liberty Jail in Independence. My dad served his mission in Missouri, back in the day. While he was there the dome over the jail had not yet been completed. One day they were out and about and they knocked on a lady's door that told them that she had the key to the jail. They asked if they could take it and try it out on the door. So they took it but it didn't fit, because the RLDS church owns the door and it is located in their temple. So again, back in the day, dad held that very key! The jail is such a sacred place. To think about the horrible circumstances that the prophet Joseph and the other brethren went through while at the jail makes me hurt. However, to think also about the amazing revelation that we have while they were in the jail makes me think about what I do during those hard times in my life. Am I searching to see what I can learn and what the Lord can teach me?


Then we said good bye to Elder and Sister Permann. It was so fun to be with them and to see them busy doing the work of the Lord as they are fulfilling that call.
Next we went to Nauvoo, the city beautiful. This was my second visit to Nauvoo and I can't begin to describe the feelings you have as you are in this city. It is filled with life. You can tell that this was a place that the saints just loved. A place that they loved and made their homes at, a place of peace and excitement. The temple is the center of all that. We went around to the different homes and buildings and it is as if the city was frozen in time after the saints were forced to leave. One of my favorite buildings is the one pictured first, this is the social hall. This is where they had plays and dances and you can tell that they loved to have a good time together. Then we finished our journey at Carthage Jail. What an amazing man the Prophet was. He lived life to it's fullest and helped everyone he came in contact with to do the same. He loved life and loved those people that were in his life.



Then we all piled in to our lovely carriage and drove back to Utah, very nice and cozy.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun for sure! I hope everything else is going well too.

    ReplyDelete