Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Adventures in Camping

I had a week off of school for fall break and Donny decided to take Thursday off, he doesn't have Friday classes. So we left Thursday afternoon and headed up North to go camping. We wanted to get up in the pines and we found them. We rolled down the windows and smelt the fresh sweet smell of the mountain air.

Donny started the fire and we made tin foil dinners, I LOVE these! They tasted so good, either because I was so hungry I could have eaten my arm or because everything just tastes better when you cook it in a camp fire. We made peach cobbler in our new dutch oven (one of our favorite wedding gifts). We sat around the fire talking and singing Kumbaya. It felt so good to be out and away from everything, and up in the mountains.

When we had decided to go camping we realized we didn't have a tent. Well we figured we could just sleep under the stars and would be ok, it Arizona for Pete sake. Well with a change in 4000 feet of elevation the temperature dropped quite a bit. Well I am a pansie when it comes to the cold (I know you are thinking to yourself but you are from Idaho...well I didn't get the extra layer of skin when they sent me down to Idaho). Luckily we had thrown some old tarps that my dad had given to us to cover our couches when we moved down here. When I say well used I mean they have served their time well. If you look closely in the next couple pictures you can see the few holes in the sides. We coincidentally found a spot where someone had already cut a tree down and laid it side ways between two trees so we had the perfect lean-to spot. We had two tarps, one to cover us and one to put under us. We used some rocks to weigh down the corners and then just like any good camper would do, inflated the air mattress. We put chairs at both ends of the lean-to to keep out whatever we kept hearing move around the brush :) It was quite the adventure!

2 comments:

  1. I must say that I'm proud of you. I think it was your trip to sheep camp that hardened your softened farmer bones and allowed you to survive in this fantastic shelter. I approve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I could never get Ladd to sing Kumbaya with me around a campfire.....

    Ever heard of a Hick Nun? lol.. that's what my word verification says... funny.

    ReplyDelete